Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy
Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT) is an exercise-based program to challenge the brain and nervous system to compensate for disorders of the inner ear, also known as the vestibular system, which causes dizziness, vertigo and imbalance.
Rehab United is unique in its approach to VRT, as we utilize full-body functional movements that replicate your activities of daily living (i.e. stooping, reaching). Our exercises incorporate strength and balance retraining, ambulation while challenging the vestibular system with a variety of head motions, and visual/ gaze stabilization to decrease dizziness and vertigo symptoms.
Common vestibular disorders that we treat are BPPV- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, vestibular neuritis, labyrinthitis, migraine associated vertigo, cervicogenic dizziness, head trauma, and vestibular hypofunction. It is common for people with vestibular issues to also have a decline in balance leading to increased risk for falls.
Signs and symptoms may include:
- Dizziness: is a common term people use for their feelings of imbalance, spinning and lightheadedness.
- Vertigo: dizziness characterized by the sense of spinning
- Disequilibrium: subjective sense of unsteadiness, imbalance or loss of equilibrium
- Oscillopsia: gaze instability which makes objects look like they are bouncing
- Tinnitus: ringing in the ears
- Spatial disorientation: sensation of not knowing where your body is in relation to vertical and horizontal lines
- Falls, unexplained falls
Each patient will receive a thorough evaluation to determine the underlying cause of the above-mentioned symptoms. In addition, your balance and fall risk will be assessed to formulate a plan of care to maintain your safety and improve your quality of life.
Please contact any of our 4 locations to obtain more information, medical insurance coverage and scheduling.
Welcome to Rehab United
You are able to see a Rehab United Physical Therapist without a prescription from your doctor or specialist. California allows for Direct Access for Physical Therapy services. This allows you to come for services for 12 visits or 45 days, prior to visiting your physician. Please contact our front office to check for eligibility based on your specific insurance carrier and coverage.
- If you prefer to privately pay for physical therapy services, simply contact our office for our cash-pay rates and to schedule an appointment.
- If you need assistance finding a physician please contact one of our 4 locations for assistance.
Before your first visit
Please bring the following with you to your first appointment:
1. Your driver's license or photo ID.
2. Your insurance card ID and group number
3. Your birth date (and that of the subscriber if it is not yourself)
4. Insurance customer service number on the front/back of your card
5. Any pertinent medical information including: medical reports, imaging and medication lists.
Please download initial paperwork from the links below.
Please print the following documents, complete them thoroughly and bring them with you to your first visit. You may also scan and email the completed forms to the appropriate Rehab United facility via the contact information below.
Book your first appointment
At Rehab United, we will do our best to work with your schedule and accommodate your needs. Here are a few items of information that will help you:
Hours of operation:
7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday – Thursday7:00 AM to 5:00PM Friday
At your first appointment, we’ll do an initial assesment to help us evaluate your injury and define a successful course of treatment. The evaluation will take approximately 1 Hour. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to ensure that all your paperwork is completed and correct.
Please dress in a way that will allow your physical therapist the best opportunity to evaluate you effectively. We recommend that your wear comfortable shorts, short sleeve shirt and bring the shoes that you wear most often.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you on your road to recovery!